Hi Zentyal users!
Your favorite development team proudly presents Zentyal 3.0. Zentyal is a Linux small business server that can be configured as a Gateway, Unified Threat Manager, Office Server, Infrastructure Manager, Unified Communications Server or a combination of them. The development of Zentyal started in 2004 and currently it is the open source alternative to Microsoft network infrastructure products aimed at small and medium businesses (Windows Small Business Server, Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Forefront...)
Let us summarize some of the new features of this new version.
- New distribution base: Ubuntu 12.04, providing new versions of all the packages and services managed by Zentyal.
- Improved performance: there is now a global cache to speed up all the requests to the Redis configuration backend. Also, the MVC framework uses now a new model load system to save some CPU processing and to reduce memory usage.
- Improved reliability: new locking and transactions systems have been developed to avoid any risk of data incoherences or corruptions.
- Samba 4 integration: a full replacement of the Windows Server Active Directory, which allows Zentyal to join as additional controller of an existing AD Domain.
- Kerberos integration: single authentication for HTTP Proxy, Mail and Zarafa groupware, in addition to File Sharing which is already provided by Samba.
- New look & feel for the Web interface along with usability improvements.
- New Master-Slave architecture: now it's easier than ever to synchronize your users between several Zentyal servers.
- New UPS module:it helps to keep your server always up and running in case power outages.
- New Thin Clients module using the popular LTSP software.
- Reviewed HTTP Proxy with a simpler interface and improved filtering by time period.
- Zarafa 7.1: a new version of the groupware suite featuring a new web interface, multi-domain support and web chat integration.
- Support for advanced NAT rules in Firewall module
It will be possible to easily upgrade from a existing Zentyal 2.2 installation to Zentyal 3.0. However you'll have to wait some weeks until we publish the migration tool for this purpose. Moreover, due to the new base distribution and other mayor changes we can not guarantee that everything will be migrated straightforwardly: a list of known issues and services that will need reconfiguration will be published together with the migration tool.
For those who are already using Zentyal 2.3, you just need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file, replace the 2.3 repository with the 3.0 repositories and upgrade all the packages with: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Here are the APT source entries for Zentyal 3.0:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zentyal/3.0/ubuntu precise main deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 3.0 main extra
Zentyal, developer of the Linux Small Business Server of the same name, offers small and medium businesses affordable and easy-to-use network infrastructure solutions. By using Zentyal server and its cloud-based services, SMBs are able to improve the reliability and security of their computer network and to reduce their IT investments and operational costs.
Zentyal server development was started in early 2004 and currently it is the open source alternative to Microsoft network infrastructure products aimed at SMBs (Windows Small Business Server, Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Forefront...). Zentyal server is widely used in the small and medium businesses regardless of sector, industry or location as well as in the public administrations or in the educational sector.
Full Change Log
You can read the full change log from 2.2 to 3.0 here.