|Version 17 (modified by hvilppola@…, 2 years ago) (diff)|
Fundraising for Zentyal 2.2
We have now published the roadmap for the next stable Zentyal release (Zentyal 2.2), that will be released in September 2011. Unfortunately, as always, there were many new cool features that Zentyal users, community members and ourselves had proposed and that had to be left out due to simple fact that Zentyal Development Team's resources are limited.
However, instead of just resigning ourselves to this, we have decided to launch fundraising campaigns for four new features that Zentyal users have demanded and we have found interesting. If the campaigns succeed, we will be able to assign more development resources to these new features and include them to Zentyal 2.2!
The candidate features are: Captive Portal, Thin Clients (LTSP Integration), Periodic Tasks management (cron) and IPv6 support. You can find the details of each feature below, as well as a link to donate to each feature via Pledgie. As soon as the donations start coming in, these will be shown in the donation bar (badge) next to the feature so from time to time you can check how your favorite feature is doing!
If you have any further questions about the campaigns, please leave them in this Forum thread.
Help to add Captive Portal in Zentyal server! Currently Captive Portal is not a top priority and it is not included in the Zentyal 2.2 roadmap, but if we manage to raise US $5,600 (4.000€) before June 1st, we can get more resources to focus on the development and include it in Zentyal 2.2.
This new module will allow to enforce clients in the Zentyal network to authenticate first on a special login web page before being able to access the Internet. This module will feature:
- Full integration with Zentyal Firewall, Users and Logs modules
- Secure authentication via HTTPS or splash-only portal with URL redirection to a given page
- Source (clients), destination (servers) and service (ports) exceptions
- Secure client filtering using IP address, MAC address and session key automatically reloaded on a pop-up
- Configurable client idle timeout and maximum connections per client
Thin Clients (LTSP Integration)
Help to add Thin Clients (LTSP Integration) in Zentyal server! Currently LTSP Integration is not a top priority and it is not included in the Zentyal 2.2 roadmap, but if we manage to raise US $4,200 (3.000€) before June 1st, we can get more resources to focus on the development and include it in Zentyal 2.2.
- Full integration with Zentyal Users and Firewall modules
- Auto-login with disable lock, kiosk with timeout modes and rdesktop (Windows RDP access)
- Thin client wake up and shutdown management
- Localapps configuration
- Other LTSP settings configuration: LDM_DIRECTX, LDM_LIMIT_ONE_SESSION, force local proxy usage, etc.
- Thin client chroot management
Periodic Tasks management
Help to add Periodic Tasks management (cron) in Zentyal server! Currently cron is not a top priority and it is not included in the Zentyal 2.2 roadmap, but if we manage to raise US $2,800 (2.000€) before June 1st, we can get more resources to focus on the development and include it in Zentyal 2.2.
This core feature will allow administrator to define Periodic Tasks (cronjobs) from a simple and intuitive interface, integrated on the Zentyal UI and avoiding to edit manually crontab files. The interface will allow specify for each job:
- Enable or disable the job
- Day of the week (multi-selection Mon..Sun)
- Time (fixed time, every X hours, every X minutes)
- Day of the month (multi-selection 1..31)
- Month (multi-selection 1..12 )
- Script to run (the script could be typed in-line or refer to the path of an existing one)
Help to add IPv6 support in Zentyal server! Currently IPv6 support is not a top priority and it is not included in the Zentyal 2.2 roadmap, but if we manage to raise US $16,800 (12.000€) before May 12th, we can get more resources to focus on the development and include it in Zentyal 2.2.
IPv6 support will include:
- Full network IPv6 support: interfaces, gateways, DNS, routing, multigateway rules, static routes, etc.
- IPv6 specific features like IPv4-IPv6 tunneling and network autoconfiguration
- Objects support
- DHCPv6 and DNS support
- Firewall and QoS support
- Enable IPv6 for all modules which have implemented it on upstream