|Version 16 (modified by mburillo@…, 19 months ago) (diff)|
Zentyal Migration Tool
This tool is intended to ease the migration from a Windows Server to a Zentyal one. It includes the AD Sync plugin to synchronize password changes with the Zentyal server, allows to export basic DHCP and DNS settings and also includes the necessary tools for the Exchange migration to Zarafa.
It comes with two packages:
- A Windows Installer with an unified graphical interface to export the settings as well as configuring the AD Sync settings.
- A Zentyal module called zentyal-migration-tool that can be easily installed from the Zentyal UI using the Software Management module. It includes a tool that can be executed in the shell or in the X environment to import the settings contained in the bundle exported from Windows.
This guide assumes that you already have a working Windows Domain Controller. At the moment this has been confirmed to be working under Windows 2003 and Windows 2008. We will try to have also support for Windows 2000 in the future if there is a high demand for it. Please read the Warnings section before performing any of these steps.
This guide also assumes that you have a fresh installation of Zentyal 2.2. For instructions about installing it, please read the Installation Guide. You can also use our installer instead of the packages if you want to test it on a fresh system.
If you already installed your Zentyal before the release of Zentyal Migration Tool or did it without Internet connection and you are not using the latest versions of the packages, please make sure you have installed zentyal-users 2.2.3 or upgrade to it otherwise (it is recommended to upgrade your whole set of packages).
Important: If you are using the Zentyal installer, make sure you select the Advanced option instead of Standalone in the initial configuration wizard.
Packages to download
- Installer for Windows Server 2003 or 2008: zentyal-migration-tool-2.2.exe
- If you have the extras repository (it is automatically added by the 2.2 installer), you can just install the module called Migration Tool from the Software Management page (click on Update list if it doesn't appear).
- To manually add the repository and install it in command line, do the following:
sudo -s echo "deb http://archive.zentyal.com/zentyal 2.2 extra" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zentyal-extras.list apt-get update apt-get install zentyal-migration-tool
Setup of the Windows Server
- Execute the zentyal-migration-tool-2.2.exe on your Windows Server.
- During the installation the configuration tool will be launched automatically, so if you want to configure the AD synchronization, you can already enter the data at this moment:
- At the Zentyal slave host field you have to enter the IP address of your Zentyal machine.
- At the Port field you can leave the default one or choose another.
- As Secret key you can choose any password as long as it has 16 characters.
- NOTE: You will need to enter the same port and secret key in the Zentyal machine as it is explained later.
- Click on the Enable checkbox. This action would write changes to the registry instantly but it wouldn't take effect until the server is restarted.
- Click OK and finish the installation. Don't restart the server yet as you still need to perform additional steps.
- Go to Administrative Tools --> Domain Security Policy and enable the complexity requirements for passwords as you can see in the image:
- Add a user called adsyncuser (or any other name of your choice) and set a password for it. Note that this user is going to be used for LDAP binding so the relevant part is the Full Name (CN), and not the logon name. The recommendation is to leave blank the Name and Last name fields and write the same value for the Full Name and User logon name.
- Restart your Windows Server as advised by the installer in order to activate the AD password synchronization (this step is not required if you only want to export settings).
- After the installation, you can access the tool again at any time through Start --> Programs --> Administrative Tools --> Zentyal Migration Tool.
- To export settings, just go to the Export Server Settings tab and click the Export button.
- A file save dialog will appear to allow us to choose the path and the filename of the settings bundle.
- Now you can copy the saved .tar.gz file to your Zentyal server in order to import it.
Import configuration in Zentyal
- Make sure you have installed the zentyal-migration-tool package using one of the two methods above (Installation in Zentyal).
- If you have already copied the settings file from Windows, just execute the zentyal-migration-tool pressing Alt+F2 and typing its name on the dialog:
- A new dialog will pop up asking you to select the location of the file.
- After selecting the file, if everything goes well a success message like this will appear:
- If you are not using the X Window System you can still do the import process just executing on the shell zentyal-migration-tool /path/to/filename.tar.gz. This method is recommended for debugging if the graphical process fails.
- As final step, just go to the Zentyal administration panel and perform the Save Changes action after checking that your configuration is imported as expected.
Setup of the Zentyal AD slave
- Go to Users --> Mode and fill the following data:
- Mode: You have to select Windows AD Slave.
- Master host: IP address of your Windows Server.
- Enable the Users and Groups module in Module Status.
- Save changes.
- Go to Users --> AD Sync Settings and fill the following data:
- AD user: This will be adsyncuser or any other name you have created in Windows before.
- AD password: The password of the user you created before.
- Listen port: If you have changed the default one during the Windows configuration, you have to write the same one here.
- AD Secret Key: The 16 characters key that you entered during the installation on Windows.
- Don't forget also to check the Enable AD sync option. You will be able to stop the synchronization at any time and creating or editing users if you uncheck this option. This is very useful when you just want to migrate your existing users in your Windows server and then, replace that Windows server with Zentyal.
- Allow access to port 6677 (or any other if you have changed it) in Firewall --> Packet Filter --> Internal Networks to Zentyal.
- Save changes.
- The passwords for the already existing users will need to be reset in order to synchronize them.
- The synchronization is done each 5 minutes, so be patient if you add an user in the AD and it is not available on Zentyal immediately.
- If your users have password with special characters they may experience authentication problems with some Zentyal services. Only proxy, samba and mail seem to work well with this.
- If you experience problems with the synchronization you should enable the debug mode and check the Zentyal log:
- Edit the /etc/zentyal/zentyal.conf file and set debug = yes.
- Try to reproduce your problem and check the contents of /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log.
- If you experience problems with the data import check also the contents of /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log, but it could be also a good idea to execute the tool in a shell (passing the file as argument) instead of from the desktop, to see if any other error appears on the screen.
- Contact us providing as much information as you can by the different means available: Forum, IRC or mailing lists.
- You can find all these resources on the main page of this site ( http://trac.zentyal.org).
- pwd-policy-screenshot.png (22.2 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- zentyal-adsync-settings.png (24.6 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- zentyal-users-mode.png (24.9 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- zentyal-run-command.png (30.2 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- zentyal-import.png (53.3 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- zentyal-import-success.png (23.4 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- windows-start-menu-link.png (6.3 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- export-savefile.png (11.8 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- export-tab.png (10.9 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- adsync-adduser.png (17.1 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.
- pwdsync-config.png (24.0 KB) - added by jacalvo@… 19 months ago.